Two of my strongest passions in life are history and music. When they come together it’s like my birthday. In fact, today, September 30 is my birthday. So, I did a little digging and came up with some historic moments in music on this day.
Below are some events that took place on September 30 – there are plenty more but these stood out to me. And below this list is a playlist I put together including the artists mentioned, in the order they appear. Yes, Skynyrd is in there but don’t worry – no Freebird. All you musicians out there, do something historic today or any other September 30, so I can include you on this list next time.
- 1942 Dewey Martin, drummer of Buffalo Springfield was born. Reached fame with the war protest song “For What It’s Worth.”
- 1950 “Grand Ole Opry” makes its radio debut.
- 1965 Donovan made his US television debut on Shindig! along with The Hollies, The Turtles and the Dave Clark Five.
- 1974 Cops are called when Lynyrd Skynyrd and Blue Oyster Cult get into a fight at a concert.
- 1984 Kiss kicks off a 14-date UK tour at the Brighton Centre.
- 1987 Roy Orbison records “A Black And White Night,” a television special produced by T-Bone Burnett featuring all kinds of crazy talent: Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello, Jackson Browne, Tom Waits, K.D. Lang and Bonnie Raitt, among others. If you’ve never seen it – buy it right now. It’s a Sound Citizen must-have.
- 1988 John Lennon gets his star on Hollywood’s Walk of Fame.
- 1993 Kate Pierson of The B-52’s gets charged with criminal mischief and trespassing during an anti-fur rally in New York.
- 2007 Foo Fighters reach the #1 spot on UK charts with Echoes Silence Patience & Grace.